Friday, August 05, 2005

Creativity--My Distinction


Ok, so I finally decided to get over myself and start this thing. Inspired by Samuel, I decided to keep my journal online. I am taking several Landmark courses, Partnership Explorations and am coaching Wisdom unlimited both of which require me to keep a journal. Not to mention that I've been trying to "keep" one on and off for years. I stop for months at a time and get inspired, write for a few weeks, and then follow that with months of inactivity. Which pretty much describes my life. Getting excited and in action and laying dormant for months at a time waiting to get inspired again. This online journal is a document of my creative path, the path towards designing a life that makes my heart sing.
So I've been noticing spiders all over the place the last few days. All around my house, at my mailbox, in my garage. I decided to look them up in my book Animal Speak and here's what I found: It's keynote is creativity and the weaving of fate. "Spider reminds us to awaken our own sensibilities to be more creative in life". My chosen distinction is Creativity, a distinction being that thing that is natural for you that you could give away to your community. Only my closest friends and family know me as creative, since I am reluctant to share my creativity with anyone I think might judge it too harshly. So picking creativity as my distinction is a way of getting present to who I am and what I have to give away to the world. I am noticing how much I am creativity and this spider passage is another affirmation for me. "Spider teaches you to maintain a balance--between past and future, physical and spiritual, male and female. Spider teaches you that everything you now do is weaving what you will encounter in the future." I had been feeling like I was spinning my wheels...hoping and praying for a more creative life, but stuck in a life that I lived by default. But coaching the Wisdom course, I'm present to the conversations I'm having in my communities and the conversations of creativity are more and more present. A new friend of mind shared with me her journey towards becoming a professional artist. It didn't happen overnight and I am suddenly beginning to see that I have been slowly preparing myself for this.

"The spider awakens creative sensibilities...The spider found within the web reminds us that we are the center of our own world. The ancient mystery schools had one precept inscribed above their portals: 'Know thyself and Thou Shalt Know the Universe!' Spider reminds us that the world is woven around us. We are the keepers and the writers of our own destiny, weaving it is like a web by our thoughts, feelings, and actions."

Finally, the spider is associated with three predominant expressions of magic. The first is the magic and energy of creation, the second the assertiveness of that creative force, of keeping the feminine energies of creation alive and strong, third, its spiral energy, links with the past and future. Spider is the guardian of ancient languages and alphabets. It is associated with death and rebirth (a favorite theme of mine). If spider has come into your life ask yourself: Are you not weaving your dreams and imaginings into reality? Are you not using your creative opportunities? Are you feeling closed in or stuck as if in a web? Do you need to pay attention to your balance and where you are walking in life? Are others out of balance around you? Do you need to write? (Ahem) Are you inspired to write or draw and not following through? (She has great intentions, but no follow through) Remember that spider is the keeper of knowledge of the primordial alphabet. Spider can teach how to use the written language with power and creativity so that words weave a web around those who would read them.

So the journey begins....

No comments: